- 1 October 2012 Latest news on the station square project
- 2 2nd to 4th August 2012 The Old Waiting Room in use again
- 3 27 July-10 August 2012 Peckham Cultural Olympiad
- 4 8th June 2012 Exhibition 2-4 August in Old Waiting Room
- 5 14th March 2012 Rail industry support for community initiatives
- 6 17th January 2012 Community exhibition & meeting on 14th March
- 7 23rd November 2011 Station Square to be restored
October 2012 Latest news on the station square project
The money has been acquired and the plans are now being developed. The aim is
- to complete the restoration of the Old Waiting Room;
- to remove the shopping arcade in front and recreate the square;
- to create access from the front of the station on the ground floor to the rear of the station, and create lift access to all 4 platforms;
- to refurbish the arches to the rear of the station (behind Bar Story) so that they can be let for town centre purposes;
- to buy out any leases, and to organise and pay for the relocation of any businesses that need to move
- Sometime early next year the Council and Network Rail will reveal what they think they can achieve with the £12m+ in terms of those aims and ask for the public's views.
The plan would be to complete the works by 2015/2016. First 'spade in the ground' might be late 2013 or early 2014 perhaps. In the meantime, the current restoration of the Old Waiting Room, led by Peckham Vision and Benedict O’Looney Architects, is continuing. The next stage is to unbrick the windows in the two towers in the forecourt and restore the original staircase so that towards the end of 2013 it will enable access to the Old Waiting Room.
2nd to 4th August 2012 The Old Waiting Room in use again
We had a non-stop stream of visitors to the 3 day exhibition, about Peckham town centre in the Old Waiting Room, as part of the Peckham Cultural Olympiad. Over 600 visitors all keen to know more about the Old Waiting Room, the station restoration, the new public square and the town centre generally. It is clear that there is great local enthusiasm for the planned changes. see more for an insight into the magical experience for three days.
27 July-10 August 2012 Peckham Cultural Olympiad
From the brochure: "This is a collection of some of the thoroughly exciting events that are taking place in the ever-lovely Peckham over the time of London’s Olympics. We are a collective of organisations and individuals, all with the aim of creating and exhibiting artistic projects of Peckham. We hope to see some new faces in our spaces, enjoying the events and getting to know those that have made them happen. Details in the brochure 'Peckham Cultural Olympiad', which gives individual contributors' websites for further details on timings of events and locations." Peckham Vision's exhibition in the Old Waiting Room is a contributor to the Olympiad.
8th June 2012 Exhibition 2-4 August in Old Waiting Room
Peckham Vision is arranging an exhibition about the town centre in the Old Waiting Room in Peckham Rye station on 2nd – 4th August as a Peckham Rye Lane contribution to the Cultural Olympiad. There will be talks and more each day.
Exhibition times: Thurs 2nd Aug 5pm – 9pm. Fri 3rd Aug 1pm – 9pm. Sat 4th Aug 11am – 3pm. Volunteers are needed for a few hours during the afternoon or evening on Thurs 2nd Aug or Fri 3rd Aug, or morning or afternoon on Sat 4th Aug? To find out more, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Read more…
14th March 2012 Rail industry support for community initiatives
This was a fantastic community meeting celebrating recent achievements for Peckham town centre. Over 200 locals from Peckham's diverse social, economic and ethnic communties crowded in to the CLF Art Café in the Bussey building, to hear the latest news from Peckham Vision and the Council. Senior figures from Network Rail, Southern Railway and the Railway Heritage Trust voiced their support for community initiatives at Peckham Rye station in Peckham town centre; see video clip.
17th January 2012 Community exhibition & meeting on 14th March
For latest news on all the new developments at and around the station and discussions about the future come to the community meeting on Wednesday 14th March 7pm, exhibition from 4pm, see details here.
23rd November 2011 Station Square to be restored
The London Mayor announced between £3-5m to help restore the square in front of Peckham Rye Station and to complete the restoration of the historic station building. Southwark Council to match funding. Peckham Vision is in discussions with the Council about the detailed work schedule which will take several years to complete. See more