History

From Peckham Vision
Jump to: navigation, search
Historic Peckham town-scape.jpg

Peckham has a long history. In 1700 it was a rural village of just 600 people, centred on the junctions of the High Street, Hill Street, and Rye Lane.

Today many of the early buildings of Peckham survive. On the High Street there are some 17th and early 18th century reminders of the old village alongside later Georgian development.

On the High Street and Rye Lane, there are still Victorian and Edwardian banks, pubs and public buildings, and adapted Georgian houses with substantial Victorian, Edwardian and 20th century retail development. The west side of Peckham Hill Street is an almost unspoilt late Georgian development.

If Southwark Council designates a conservation area for central Peckham it would enable the various buildings of interest to be protected from demolition. The other benefits of a conservation area include the ability for the Council and local people to improve the quality of new developments. The Peckham Society welcomes new development and supports challenging contemporary design like the Peckham Library. The campaign for a conservation area focuses on raising the profile and quality of both historic and contemporary architecture not simply the preservation of historic townscape. A conservation area will allow the council to insist on better quality buildings in our town centre. Further, the designation of a conservation area will also open the door to historic area grant schemes which can be targeted towards improving shop fronts and the repair and reuse of empty and unused buildings.

Read more...