Community Engagement in the Social Eco-Systems Dance
This page shows some links to writings and videos on how Eileen Conn's social eco-systems dance model illuminates some aspects of the relationships between citizens and authorities and other institutions. This is a temporary collection to make them more easily accessible.
About Eileen Conn – a biog is on page one of this discussion paper: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/generic/tsrc/documents/tsrc/discussion-papers/discussion-paper-b-community-engagement.pdf
The paper sets out the social eco-system dance model. It is published on the TSRC (Third Sector Research Centre) website: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/generic/tsrc/research/below-the-radar/community-engagement-and-the-social-ecosystem-dance.aspx The paper outlines the idea that the human world of authority and organisations is in perpetual interaction with the world of human life in community. The two are distinct and different relational systems within a shared social eco-system. Their organisational dynamics are dissimilar; they dance to very different tunes. This is largely unrecognised and invisible. The theory and model of 'the Social Eco-System Dance' offers a new lens to understand this, and some of the solutions to the negative effects it has. For further explanations of the model and how the dynamics it encapsulates, play out in practise, visit:
- Short Youtube interview - http://www.socialreporters.net/?p=455
- Short blog comment on the model - http://goo.gl/sVUWIw OR <https://sustainingcommunity.wordpress.com/2012/05/24/vertical-and-horizontal-community-engagement>
- The published paper - http://goo.gl/kpbBro OR http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/generic/tsrc/research/below-the-radar/community-engagement-and-the-social-ecosystem-dance.aspx
Other relevant references
A new conception of life essential to understanding sustainability has emerged in the last 30 years since the 1980s. Here are some introductory explanations.
- introduction to the theory of Living Systems by Fritjof Capra - 10 mins youtube
- The Systems View of Life by Fritjof Capra - 40 mins youtube
- 2011 Submission pp 270 to 273 written evidence to the House of Commons Public Administration Select Committee inquiry into the Big Society policy.
- 2012 Submission to the London Assembly Inquiry into neighbourhood planning - report: 'Beyond consultation The role of neighbourhood plans in supporting local involvement in planning'
- 2017 Submission to the Commission on the future of the 2011 Localism Act - report.