This page is under construction.
The largest re-development site in Peckham town centre is the Aylesham Centre and Morrison’s car park. Southwark News has reported that up to 1000 new flats, with shops, evening entertainment and public space could replace the current shops and car park. The site is owned by a joint enterprise between Tiger Developments and hedge fund Blackrock. For such a large and important site it is even more essential that local people have a chance to contribute their ideas and their needs before the site owners develop their plans for discussion with the Council.
A current ongoing survey is showing that local people think they should be allowed to decide how the development goes, who it's for, how tall the buildings are and how it contributes to the local economy. The survey reflects well known opinion about the town centre:
- We don't need tall buildings or skyscrapers
- We need more affordable social houses not private, shops and good coffee
- Keep Peckham mixed and diverse.
- We need safe spaces and activities for the elders, kids and community use
- Keep the one of the cheapest cinemas in London
- Keep the parking space and help the local business
- There should be a green space, including a market, garden growing, and fresh produce for Peckham people
- We need more public toilets and good traffic flow considering the disabled
- Keep the arch in Peckham square