Effects of single-site plan
These are the effects of the originally proposed single-site tram depot on Peckham town centre. The boundaries, size and arrangements for the 'split-site' depot which is now being planned are unknown. From what TfL have said informally it might take up a considerable part of the whole of site 63P which is considerably bigger than the site earmarked for the single-site depot. More explanations of this will be coming shortly on this website.
Local jobs & businesses
- Around 600 jobs replaced by 144 on site, 200 off-site
- Around 40 businesses replaced by 1 engineering depot
- Around 60 artists’ work places lost
- 9 churches displaced
- adaptable, flexible buildings & spaces lost
- Wandle 40 New homes demolished
- MacNiven & Cameron 60-100 new homes lost
- Industrial noise affecting homes on Atwell Estate
- Decisions on tram unlikely until 2008/9
- No new investment until after that
- Increasing number of derelict buildings
- MacNiven & Cameron site major example
- Years of disruption from construction
- No traffic impact assessment
- One tram every 2 minutes under Consort Road bridge
- Congestion with road traffic?
- Traffic diverts west & east through Bellenden and Nunhead?
These new homes under construction would have to be pulled down to make way for the Tram DepotT. hese new homes under construction would have to be pulled down to make way for the Tram Depot
Under plans up to one tram every two minutes would pass Consort Road Bridge. Under plans up to one tram every two minutes would pass Consort Road Bridge
- Maintenance depot 24 hours x 7 days a week
- Industrial noise impact on Atwell Estate
- Wheel noise ‘squeal’ from trams cornering at Consort Road bridge affecting homes nearby
- New frontage retail on Rye Lane only shallow units, no rear servicing; making it less attractive to shop owners
- Suitable only for lower quality retailing?
- Loss of potential to improve quality shopping in central Rye Lane
- Loss of retail jobs
- Varied, flexible, adaptable mixed buildings replaced by one heavy engineering building
- Vibrant 5 acres connected with surrounding commerce replaced by highly secured disconnected mono site
- Loss of historic industrial & commercial buildings