TfLï¿½ URGED TO REVEAL THEIR TRAM DEPOT PLANS IN PECKHAM
TfL’s new plans for the split-site tram depot in the heart of Peckham town centre could have devastating effects on homes, jobs, businesses, artists and other community uses, and blight the town centre for years. We just don’t know exactly what the effects will be because no information has been released about these new plans. We do know that the Planning Inspector has already rejected the original plan because of its devastating effects. There are indications that the new plans could be as bad.
There will be a Peckham Vision deputation to full Council Assembly
WEDNESDAY 28 JUNE 7.00pm
Peckham Road, SE5
Peckham Vision will be urging full Council to press TfL
- to reveal their plans for a depot on this huge site in the heart of Peckham town centre so that there can be a transparent and informed discussion about the effects on Peckham.
- to conduct a full public review of all split-site options and alternatives.
On Monday the deputation to the Executive
- recognised the technical Planning need to safeguard the site for the depot
- asked that the UDP be modified to recognise that it was too premature to take the final decisions on the tram depot location in Peckham
- suggested the UDP be modified so that the site would be: ‘safeguarded pending a full public review of all split-site options and alternatives’.
The deputation were dismayed that the Executive rejected this modest and practical proposal. The deputation on Wednesday will be drawing these important matters for the future of Peckham to the attention of the full Council, andseeking cross-party support to put pressure on Transport for London to release information about their latest plans and urgently conduct a public review of split-site options and alternatives. Only then can anyone assess what the effect would be on Peckham.
pp Peckham Vision
Peckham Vision is a consortium of local residents, artists and businesses, who have come together with the Peckham Society, to seek information about the development plans for Peckham Town Centre, including the tram and tram depot, raise public awareness of these issues and stimulate an informed discussion about the future of Peckham.